Wednesday, March 2, 2011

WHERE IS HOME?

When I was in high school, my dad and mom owned a small hotel on main street in Ada Oklahoma. It was one of those small, upstairs rooming houses on the wrong end of town. However, they worked very hard to make it a clean, respectable place. It was one block from the railroad crossing (and whistles), so if the main street traffic didn't keep you awake the train would. 

Our clientele was made up, primarily, of traveling salesmen and a few local “Regular renters”. The rooms cost $1.00 a night (Bath at the end of the hall), or $1.50 for a room with a private bath. So you can probably understand why paying $75.00 to $100.00 a night for a motel room is like pulling teeth for me. 

I have a lot of fun, strange, and exciting memories of those years. One of the things that stand out in my memory is the little business cards my dad handed out to the renters. They had the usual information on them and then at the bottom they read, “This is your home away from home”.

The memory of that little card lit up in my mind recently when I heard a minister say, “This world is not our home. It is just our home away from home”.  

I know all of those salesmen who stayed with us at the Brown Hotel only had one goal in mind. Get back home! So let's not get too comfortable in this world. We are just in this “Over night stop” until we can get back home. 

The scriptures in John 14:2-3 reads, “ In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

Now let me ask you a question....Are you ready for your heavenly home? If you are,WONDERFUL! But if you aren't why not read the words of this old hymn as a heartfelt prayer to your Heavenly Father and start packing you bags...

I’ve wandered far away from God,
Now I’m coming home;
The paths of sin too long I’ve trod,
Lord, I’m coming home.


Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam,
Open wide Your arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home.


I’ve wasted many precious years,
Now I’m coming home;
I now repent with bitter tears,
Lord, I’m coming home.


Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam,
Open wide Your arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home.


I’m tired of sin and straying, Lord,
Now I’m coming home;
I’ll trust Thy love, believe Thy Word,
Lord, I’m coming home.


Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam,
Open wide Your arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home.


My soul is sick, my heart is sore,
Now I’m coming home;
My strength renew, my hope restore,
Lord, I’m coming home.



Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam,
Open wide Your arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home.


My only hope, my only plea,
Now I’m coming home;
That Jesus died, and died for me.
Lord, I’m coming home.


Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam,
Open wide Your arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home.


I need His cleansing blood, I know,
Now I’m coming home;
O wash me whiter than the snow,
Lord, I’m coming home.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment