Wednesday, October 6, 2010

STEERING WHEEL OR SPARE TIRE?

Proverbs 23:19“....Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way.”

Porsche steering wheel 0429Image via Wikipedia
Would you say your prayer life is more like a steering wheel or a spare tire?

That's a question our pastor asked the congregation and one I had not heard before. But it certainly started me thinking. I had to ask myself, “Do I use prayer as something to guide my life or do I only rely on it when I've had a spiritual “blow out” and I have to have a "spare tire?”

Now, I know every part of an automobile has value and is needed, but I think the steering wheel is essential. Using it is the only way we can go in the right direction, stay on the right road, avoid pot holes and collisions, or keep headed toward our destination.

I am not saying we shouldn't use prayer as a spare tire sometimes, because I think we should. But I am saying that if we use prayer daily to guide our lives, We will have fewer “blow outs” and changing tires will not become a habit.

Flat tire.Image via Wikipedia
1 Thessalonians 5:17 reminds us to, “ Pray without ceasing.” WHOA! How do we do that? What does that mean?
Well for me it is simply means that all my daily decisions should be made with a mind that is subconsciously controlled by an attitude of prayer of obedience to God.
********************************
“Lord, I want to keep my hand on the steering wheel of prayer so that I can “guide my heart” down the highway of holiness.”




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment