Saturday, August 28, 2010

WAS JESUS HOMELESS?

1.Matthew 8:20
Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

Was Jesus Homeless?  

I really began to think about this question after seeing this thought provoking painting by Deb Hoeffner. I emailed Ms. Hoeffner and she graciously gave me permission to use this picture in my blog. Deb is a very talented artist and illustrator. You can see her work at www.debhoeffner.com .

For the moment I'm just going to let this question “Tip toe through the tulips” of you mind. Maybe if it kicks up enough gray matter you will want to google, “Was Jesus homeless” and read some of the interesting comments on the subject.

But I'm reminded of a small boy who was standing on the side walk watching his house burn. A gentleman standing beside him put his arm around the boy and said, “Son, I'm sorry your home is burning down.” The boy immediately looked up at the man and without any hesitation, replied, “Mister, my home ain't burning down. That's just my house that's on fire”.

Do you have a house or do you have a home? I recently saw a bumper sticker on the back of a motor home that read, “Home is where you park it”. I guess the “it” referred to the motor home but I think it would been more accurate to just say “Home is where you park”. Or to say it another way, home is where you really want to be.

A place where you are comfortable.
A place where you can just be you.
A place where there is tolerance.
A place where there is understanding.
A place where you can be vulnerable.
A place where there is caring.
A place where there is intimacy.
A place where you don't always have to pick up your clothes.  (I'm a man)

It all boils down to this;
 
Home is a place where you share your love!   
Home is where the heart is! 

Byron in his writings echoed this when he said, “He entered his house – his home no more. For without hearts there is no home”.   And Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:21 “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” There can be no greater treasure than a Godly home.

So, let's face it, home has very little to do with where we live, and everything to do with how we live.

When I asked Jo Anne if she thought Jesus was homeless, she said, “If you won't let him live in your heart, I guess he is”. What a great answer! I'm not sure Jesus ever had a house. That is for you to decide, But I can tell you this. Since home is where you share your love, Jesus is at home in any heart that will open their door and let Him in.  That's always been His real home and is the same today.

If you feel like you have a house, but you don't fell like you have a home, maybe you should open your hearts door and ask Jesus to come and share His love through you. “As for me and my house we will serve the Lord”. That is what it takes to have a real home.

There are many people who can't afford a house but everyone can have a home!

1 comment:

  1. Love Jo Anne's comment of "If you won't let Him live in your heart" then Jesus is homeless. How true that is!

    ReplyDelete